Saturday, May 03, 2014

Logitech M235 Wireless Mouse Review

I got myself a Logitech M235 wireless mouse during my weekend trip to Malaysia at a bargain price of $20 at a Popular book store. Yep, its the same Popular you get in Singapore. The listed price on the website is $29, which translates to a 30% discount when bought across the causeway. Wee!


My requirements are simple. I'm not a gamer, but I do use the computer for long periods for of time.


In short, I need a mouse that is:
1. Comfortable. It must be reasonable in size to fit an average sized hand comfortably.


2. Has power saving features to save battery when my computer is turned off because I can't be bothered to turn it off manually.

3. Uses a single battery. For super-low power consumption devices, there is always a risk of having one of the battery run completely flat while the other battery forces current through it while the device continues to work (also known as "reverse charging"). This increase the chances of a corrosive leak that slowly eats through the metal contacts of the mouse. Having a single battery simplifies things.

4. Runs reasonably precise on typically surfaces I throw at it. I'll need it to work just about on any surface I put my laptop on so that I do not need to bring around a mouse pad.

5. The receiver module must be small enough for me to leave it in my USB slot permanently without worrying that I might break it when slipping my laptop into its bag.


It features a silent 2-way scroll wheel for flipping through long documents without disturbing your colleagues.



In addition, there are a few notable points that make this mouse better than what I've expected.

6. There is a slot to keep the USB module within the battery compartment during transportation and it fits snugly so that you won't drop it the moment you open that compartment.


7. There is a little battery indicator LED that shows up green or red for easy checking of remaining battery life. I switched my new battery (1.5V) for a depleted cell (1.05V) and it worked just fine even though the LED showed red. Using s single AA battery means that it has about twice the capacity of a AAA battery and will last a very long time.



Red LED: 1.05V Depleted AA cell.
Green LED: 1.14V Almost Depleted AA cell.