Saturday, May 17, 2014

$5 eye examination at Ngee Ann Polytechnic

I got to know that Singapore Poly (SP) and Ngee Ann Poly (NP) both offers comprehensive eye check at a nominal rate of $5 when lamenting to my friend about how expensive it is to get a proper pair of spectacles made in Singapore. A basic pair of spectacles cost me $140, mind you, that was 5 years ago. Now that my current pair of spectacles is getting rather worn out, I figured that it is time to get a new one.

I always thought that it was necessary to visit a spectacle shop to get many precise measurements to make a pair of spectacles so that they fit perfectly on me. Turned out that the only few details they need to make a pair of spectacles were just shortsightedness details, astigmatism details and the distance between your pupils. That's it! Assuming that you are only trying to correct shortsightedness.

This meant that it is possible to order a pair of quality spectacles online from whatever company in the world. My experience from online shopping tells me that goods purchased online tend to be more value for money because the competition is just a click away and you cut away the middleman. In Singapore where rental and property prices are so expensive, I really do not want to have these costs added to the purchase of a product when buying from a brick-and-mortar shop.

My visit to NP

Long story short, eye checks from SP and NP are so cheap because they are done by students. However, don't let that put you off because their findings are re-checked by their supervisor. With that, you can be sure that you are getting accurate and proper eye examination. According to a New Paper article, a similar eye check costs $100 outside.

Let me share with you my experience at NP.

1) Booking a slot online (http://www.np.edu.sg/hs/industry/Pages/NPOC_Registration.aspx)
Just fill up the minimalistic google docs form and some shy student will call you up within a few working days to confirm your slot.

2) Getting there.
The eye check is conducted at Blk 6, which is near the main entrance of the school. It is easy to find once you alight at Bus Stop 12101 or 12109 depending on which direction you come from.


3) The Eye Checks
Firstly, a questionnaire about you and your family's eye health history.

Next, you get the standard eye test where you are asked to read the alphabets, which lens look clearer, etc. This is where your degrees, astigmatism measurements and pupil distance are obtained.

Followed by an eye movement test where you are asked to look into a pen light and follow it..

Then, a "back of eye" examination where the student will come really close to your face with a handheld magnifying tool to look into your eyes. I got really shy and became very aware of my own breathing because the student was only inches away from my face. I guess this part was to check the integrity of my retina and to see if any glaucoma has occurred.

When that was done, the student proceeded to check the front part of my eyes with a slit lamp to light up the front of my eyes. This is to reveal any corneal scars and cataracts.

Lastly, the checks concluded with puff test to determine the pressure within the eye. This machine blows a really strong jet of air at your pupil and records how much air is deflected back. High pressure in the eyes is also points towards impending glaucoma. The machine blows 3 times each eye and it was quite shocking. The student was not satisfied with the results on my left eye and had to redo the test. Ugh, scary!

The whole process took 2 whole hours. At the end, I was handed a slip containing all the information I need to get my glasses and was verbally told that my eyes are healthy! Yay!

I think this is a great. I see no reason why anyone should pay $100+ to get eye checkups from private practices when such services are available. Moreover, by using their service, you are also giving future opticians a chance to practice their skills. It's a win-win situation!




3 comments:

Timy Tons said...

Great goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just too great. I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you’re saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it sensible. I can’t wait to read far more from you. This is actually a terrific website. Yaldo Eye Center

Valentino thomas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Valentino thomas said...

Then you can buy the 'non-prescript' coloured contact lens Australia is talking about right now. For more information on cosplay lenses, read me.