Friday, February 21, 2014

My encounter with a Double Edge / Safety Razor



I first bought my $4 Rimei safety razor on impulse as a novelty. It is a simple 3-piece razor that is quite nicely constructed. I was intrigued by the way people do things in the past. Typically, older things typically require the user to read instruction manuals and procedures to follow. Shaving with a safety razor was one such affair.

I was scared to use it at first because I had to handle the blade and put it into the handle. What if I cut myself? Will it give me many cuts on my face while I shave?

I followed the advice from forums and youtube videos and it really needs more care to shave compared to a cartridge razor. The biggest difference is the length of the blade exposed and the fact that the head does not pivot. This meant that holding the razor at the wrong angle result in cuts or a disappointingly ineffective shave.

See that sheet protruding from the top cover? That is how much the blade protrudes out.

In a nutshell, it worked great. It wasn't too difficult to shave despite being completely new to it and I didn't cut myself and managed to get a clean shave. Not particularly well done, but it was acceptable. My electric shaver could have done a better job in less time though. I respect the way technology has advanced to allow consumers to do carry on with their lives with so much ease, but there is something fun about taking the time to shave with an old school safety razor.


The two pieces form the head of the razor, with the foreground plate serving as a safety barrier from the blade. Hence, the naming of the razor.

Another point to note is that shaving with a safety razor can be very inexpensive. The design was very economical since the only thing that needs replacing is just a thin sheet of metal while the razor will last forever. Each blade costs in the range of S$0.40 to as low as $0.08. It typically gets cheaper when you buy a 100 blade pack instead of a 5 or 10 blade pack. I started out buying small packs, while it is more expensive, it allows me to try out different brands to see what works the best for me. Also, while most people, presumably westerners, managed to get 4-8 shaves off each blade on average, I find that my blade lasts longer than that, probably because my stubble is not that coarse.


 
According to online reviews, this sampler blade included with razor is rather high quality. The stains are due to a couple times of use.




As I read further, I got to read that shaving with a safety razor was actually be done as an indulgence though painstakingly slow, but sophisticated procedures. I think the technology of the yesteryear is interesting in the sense because they required some skill and knowledge to bring out the best in their tools. Whereas now, consumerism has focused on making products that are convenient and simple to use.

With that said, that is not to say that modern day technology had made shaving worse, in fact, I feel that even inexpensive electric shavers such as the one I reviewed earlier largely reduced the chore of shaving and gives a close, smooth shave without fail.

I urge you to try it out for the fun of it. Traditional shaving has its charms and I've been trying to improve my technique in hope that it can one day be as good as shaving with my electric shaver.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I’m impressed. You’re truly well informed and very intelligent. You wrote something that people could understand and made the subject intriguing for everyone. I’m saving this for future use.best safety razor reviews

James Franklin said...

This is really an informative post. I also use a safety razor and I feel comfortable to get shave with it. I am using it for last four years. I change the blades of my safety razor when reducing the sharpness of blades and I get a closer and smoother shave. Best safety razor reviews

nigesh said...

Very useful post for shaving. I am an amateur shaver and I like this post.Tips for grooming