Monday, February 03, 2014

An average dude talks about shaving.

Just a little introduction about me before you continue reading about my shaving posts. I am a Chinese with relatively sparse and uneven facial hair growth and because of that, I need to shave every 3 days as I would start to get some stubble by then. And no, having uneven facial hair does not add anything to my manliness.

As there are many different facial hair types, do take note that my write ups and reviews would be slanted towards my thin facial hair type and may not always apply to you even if you are the same race as me. The thickness of my facial hair meant that almost all kinds of shaving equipment would work sufficiently to get the job done. So, even the cheapest of shaving equipment would be good enough for me - so far, I've tried disposable multiple blade razors (even those where the entire handles are disposable) and cheap electric shavers and these were able to give me a shave close enough to return me to revert my face to its baby smooth state.

In Singapore, typical brand name electric shavers can cost a few hundreds (my friend who has thicker and faster beard growth bought a $400+ Braun to suit his needs) and disposable razor cartridges can add up to quite a lot in the long run.

In the beginning, I didn't thought much about shaving since it was a chore that I simply had to deal with and wanted to get it over and done as quickly and painless as possible. I have been using a sub $50 electric shaver for more than a year now and it works fine for me. It was fast, painless and low maintenance. A review for this will be coming soon.

It was until I encountered safety razors on sale at a pasar malam (temporary night market). I was curious that these things are still available in Singapore. The last time I saw one was when my late grandfather was still around. I vaguely remember seeing some Gilette dual edge blades in the toilet when I was a kid. The razor was on sale for $4 and a pack of 5 blades were going for 90 cents. It was cheap enough to be an impulse purchase and if it didn't work out, there is no heartache throwing it out.

And that's when became intrigued by the old shaving methods with a safety razor...

Look out for some reviews in the horizon!

Happy Lunar New Year to all!

No comments: