Saturday, December 13, 2014

Kai S-Gold Dispoable Single Blade Razor

I have been using the traditional dual edge safety razor for almost a year now and I have gotten rather proficient at it. Despite the fact that the blades sometimes cost so little, they gave me comfortable shaves with great results. So, it is strange for me to pick up a pack of disposable razors. But wait!

I was sifting through forums for disposable razor recommendations when I found out that airlines do not allow the traditional safety razor blade in carry-on bags for safety reasons. After all, it is simply a piece of metal sharpened on both ends.

To keep myself clean shaven during my holiday trips, I had to bring along a disposable razor but I didn't wanted those modern multi blade cartridge razors. After some reading, I found some rave reviews for a relatively unknown single blade disposable razor from Japanese knife/blade maker KAI. Heck, I couldn't even find it in the company's product line up. Surprisingly, I found these razors on display in one of my favourite shaving haunts - Haniffa Textiles in Little India.

Reviews here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/307086-Best-disposable-SE-for-head-shaving
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/261082-Review-Kai-Gold-S-disposable

 At $1.80 for 10 razors, each one cost a tiny 18cents! I find it hard to imagine that razors can cost so little. Some of razor blade itself cost that much! How did they make them so cheap!?

 
The razor's design is extremely simple. Made of stamped metal bent to shape, it really reflects on the simplicity and efficiency of functional designs.


The head consist of a single blade with a plastic guard clamped onto the stamped metal handle. I don't even think it was glued together. The blade is extremely stiff and sharp, making it an efficient shaver. It is also very easy to use due to the plastic guard that is characteristic of modern cartridge razors. But unlike them, the shaving style is more similar to traditional razors - just a light touch will do.


It is a very small and lightweight razor. The ridges on the handle do provide sufficient grip when wet.


My only gripe is that the angle of the head differs from the angle of traditional razors and I will have to take note of it when switching between them. It is possible to bend the head to your preferred angle though.

I highly recommend this little gem. For those who are looking for an alternative to expensive multi blade cartridge razors but do not wish to venture into traditional razors, these little inexpensive razors offer excellent and painless shaves with the convenience of modern razors. With these around, there is little reason to spend $3-5 per replacement cartridge for a modern multi blade razor. Seriously, why add more blades when 1 does just as well?

1 comment:

Clipping Solutions said...


I am very glad to comment on this site with the excellent content of your site.
clipping path service

Photo Retouching Services
raster to vector conversion service
Photo Editing Services