Friday, March 01, 2013

Project: An automatic drawer light






Now, I could have simply used an automatic DIODER drawer light to light up my little drawer. But I didn't like it that it switches on only for a short 12 seconds. I want it to stay lighted up as long as the drawer is open. So, I thought that it might be better to make my own. It shouldn't be too difficult right?

My ingredients are:
White LED strip
A reed switch
8x AA batteries and holder.
Some black sticky tape to match my table.


I bought a 10m white LED strip from dealextreme. It was quite a good deal considering that they are $15 per meter if bought locally. These were really bright! It is bright enough to be my night light and it can be really discrete since they are so thin!

This is my little power source. My LED strip is more for automotive use and takes in 12v. So, 8x 1.5V AA batteries are required. I measured the power consumption and found that it would take 13hours to fully drain these batteries. I could use rechargeable batteries to save cost in the long run but I also risk damaging my rechargeable batteries should I run them down completely. The circuit is simple and hence, there is no protection circuit. These cheap and cheerful IKEA alkaline batteries cost $2.50 for a pack of 10. They are not as good as other branded alkaline batteries, but these are really value for money.


This is my hidden "normally closed" reed switch hidden under the sliding tray of my drawer. The other piece is stuck to the drawer door where the two parts will be separated when I open the drawer which then closes the circuit :)


The LEDs and their wires are hidden from plain view using black tape. See how bright my drawer is compared to the rest of my room? Having bright light shining on my drawer makes it easier to take things from it.

No comments: